If you’re familiar with the mobile video editing apps space, you’ve probably already heard about CapCut. It’s a viral app from the Chinese company ByteDance, the owner of TikTok. CapCut lets users quickly make mobile video edits for TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, and other social media platforms.
– CapCut started in 2020, since then it has amassed over 200 million monthly active users
– ByteDance is making a push to commercialize CapCut with investments into “creator programs” that pay creators for the best edits/templates
– The company aims to compete for market share with other popular mobile video editing players like Adobe, Canva, and VEED.
Photo: CapCut website
CapCut’s Creator-Led Growth Strategy
ByteDance understands the value of creators. Seeing TikTok blow up overseas and around the world, they were able to witness the creator movement first hand. Now with CapCut, ByteDance is utilizing those same learnings to instill a creator-led growth strategy.
While they aren’t exactly going the influencer route, like their competitor Adobe has, CapCut is focusing on getting lots of active usage by encouraging template creation within the app. According to a screenshot from QQ user Beluga Whale, this is how the CapCut Creator Program looks like in the US.
Essentially, they are incentivizing creators to work on popular templates or editing styles in their app, with the promise of up to a $1000 bonus for viral templates.
Will this work to catapult CapCut even further up the app store rankings, or will ByteDance have to do more to usher in the next phase of growth for their mobile video editing app? Leave a comment below with your thoughts.
What is the Mobile Video Editor CapCut Like?
If you’re looking to get an idea of what CapCut is like, check out this basic overview from YouTuber Kevin Stratvert.
- ByteDance’s Video Editor CapCut With 200M MAU Targets High Earnings via Pandaily
- The 200 million MAU hidden small giant going overseas has begun to realize via QQ
- Suite of products and services, ByteDance via ByteDance website