A mum was left with skin peeling from her face after she tried cooking eggs in the microwave.
Shafia Bashir, 37, said she’d been left in ‘absolute agony’ after making a poached egg using a ‘TikTok hack’.
She’d first poured some boiling water in a mug before adding the egg and then put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes.
But when she put a cold spoon on the egg, it erupted ‘like a fountain’ and scolded the right side of her face – leaving her in the ‘most excruciating’ pain of her life.
And though her wounds have now healed, the mum-of-one has cautioned others to think twice about attempting the popular dish.
She said: ‘I just don’t want anyone else going through that, because it is trending on TikTok. It was the most excruciating pain of my life.
‘It was a terrifying time for me. I was in absolute agony.
‘I put my face under the tap and then had to get my mate to look after my daughter so I could go to A&E.’
Shafia, from Bolton, Greater Manchester, said she had been making the dish for three years when she’d decided to cook it on May 12.
She said: ‘I did it exactly the same as I usually do it. I had already made the toast, I was starving!
‘My ex-mother-in-law told me about it. She told me how to make a poached egg in the microwave. I had been doing it for three years.
‘I boiled the kettle, half-filled the mug with water, put salt inside, the egg inside, and microwaved it for a minute. It wasn’t cooked, so I put it in for another minute.
‘After it happened, I put my face under the tap for 20 mins. But the burning lasted for 12 hours. It just didn’t stop.’
Cooking shelled eggs in a microwave can be dangerous as the casing holds in heat.
Once you have removed the egg from the microwave, it will carry on cooking itself and any disruption can cause an explosion.
Shafia said she had been left traumatised after the incident and vowed never to eat an egg again.
But she has managed to see the funny side of the situation in her latest TikToks.
She said: ‘For my last videos on TikTok, I did Beauty and the Beast and Tony Montana from Scarface, with the burn.
‘My followers thought it was a filter!’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, check our news page.