RECENTLY in the news we saw a children’s toy available at a national chain of chemists be recalled due to choking concerns.
The children’s wooden jigsaw puzzles, available at My Chemist and Chemist Warehouse nationally, are available in three different.
But the products have been recalled as they do not comply with the mandatory safety standards for toys for children up to and including 36 months of age.
As a result,Piece Puzzle company wrote: “Children under the age of three years old should not play with small puzzle pieces, as they pose a choking hazard.
“It is recommended that you carefully supervise all other children playing with puzzles to ensure safety, regardless of age.”
Not only are jigsaw puzzles seen as a threat, but a nanny has now revealed four other toys that she would never have in her home.
Read more parenting stories
Not only did she describe them as choking hazards, but she explained that they could even be fatal.
So if you want Christmas to be extra special (and super safe) for your little darling, you’ll need to listen up.
Posting her advice on social media, the nanny, who is known online as ‘The Enchanted Nanny’, said: “These are the toys I would never have in my house, to help you make cautious choices just before Christmas.
“The first one is aqua beads – they are unnecessary.
“If you want something that will give you the exact same sensory experience, please use tapioca.
“Aqua beads are literally made to expand when they hit water. If your child accidentally eats them, they form a massive obstruction that will just keep going and they’re also toxic.
“Avoid them like the plague – use tapioca instead.”
Not only this, but the nanny also explained why she would avoid toys that contain button batteries.
She continued: “Anything with a button battery – if you’ve ever seen those videos where someone has put a button battery on a piece of bacon – you will understand why we do not have them in.
“They look like a shiny sweet and if they come loose, which they often do, because they tend to be in quite cheap toys, they form a massive choking hazard, but worse than that, the damage that they do when they’re swallowed is untold and can be fatal.”
As well as this, the nanny explained why you’d never find marbles in her home, as she added: “Theone is marbles – now, some of they have bought out that contain marbles are so cool, and sometimes they’re even in Christmas crackers, but again, if you’ve got little ones under five, they are the perfect choking hazard.
“They don’t break down and they can get stuck very easily.
“Just avoid them until your little ones are older. And if you’ve got pets, another reason just to not have them in the house.”
Finally, and it may come as a surprise, this parenting whizz explained why she wouldn’t recommend at home science kits.
She concluded: “And finally, at home science kits. Again, these can actually be so dangerous.
“It’s mad that they are for sale. There’s lots of great at home science books that you can get, with lots of different safe experiments that don’t involve chemistry, so I would get those instead if you’ve got a little scientist at home.”
The TikTok clip, which was posted under the username @enchantednanny, has clearly left many stunned, as it has quickly amassed 57,700 views in just one day.
One person said: “This is so helpful thank you.”
Another added: “I’m with you on them all. I don’t even keep the balls in screwball scramble. I keep those in the locked meds cupboard.”
However, someone else commented: ”Everything can be so dangerous, it’s about using your own common sense and adult supervision at the right times.”
Whilst another social media user wrote: “Anything can be dangerous if not supervised appropriately.”
Fabulous will pay for your exclusive stories. Just email: email@example.com and pop EXCLUSIVE in the subject line.